Friday, June 19, 2009

Oh...A Camping We Will Go...A Camping We Will Go...


Here's another side benefit to being unemployed. I called my brother last night to relay my joblessness, and he invited me to join him and some friends on a camping trip down in Virginny, near Madison (that's off route 29, about 1.5 hours due south and a little west of DC, for you city slickers who think anything outside the Beltway might as well be Tadjikistan). So this evening we will camp with friends and spend some time together.
My brother lives about two hours away. We're close, but not supremely close. He's older than me by eight years. I won't say I was an accident, oops baby; but let's just say the best laid plans of mom and dad took about seven years longer than anticipated. So, given our age difference, my brother Rob and I were really in totally different spheres. He was running around with his high school party crowd when I was still mesmerized by Scooby Doo.
( Hmmm...Actually, I still am, but that's another matter. And Dexter's Lab; and, oh Johnny Quest is the best of all!).

Suffice to say, I think we missed out on a deep connection. Yet, at times like these, when life decides I'm just a target for overhead birds, Rob seems to be there for me. Oh, he hasn't signed on to be my therapist on this trip. But I already know his generous spirit shines in times like these. He'll commiserate and share a brew. What more does a brother need? So here's to the irony of being out of work: it's hard work; yet it can afford these moments to spend time with family, reconnect and just take a deep breath. Now what was the name of the campground he mentioned we were going to...Camp Crystal Lake I think he called it...

No comments:

Post a Comment